Hi 32° | Lo 14°

Marauders, Tide Play to Scoreless Draw

Concord — The winning streak is over, but the Hanover High boys soccer team maintained its streak of defensive excellence in tying host Concord, 0-0, in double overtime on Thursday.

The Marauders (13-0-1) have still allowed just three goals this fall. Thursday’s draw was marked by Hanover taking control as the game went on, including a 9-1 advantage in shots over two 10-minute overtime periods.

Concord keeper Andrew Grondin (13 saves) had a strong game featuring a great save on a Daniel Hazlett shot attempt, as the Crimson Tide defense managed to stifle the Hanover attack.

“We played so well in the second half. It’s always a goal of ours to play as well as we can play,” Hanover coach Rob Grabill said. “Our last 20 minutes were spectacularly good. We can come away from this feeling very good about the way we played.”

Concord used its home-field advantage early with a good scoring chance on a header by Nick Dupree in the opening minutes that required Hanover keeper Alex Bynum (five saves) to extend for the stop. The Crimson Tide held a 4-3 advantage in shots through the first half.

Hanover’s pressure picked up after the break. Sam Carey just missed heading in a corner kick in the second half while Rocco Linehan also came close to finding the back of the net.

The Marauders had numerous chances in extra time, including a Linehan attempt that rocketed past the right post. Concord’s Grondin also added to his strong game with a point-blank save on an attempt by Xavier Tchana following a scramble in front of the net.

Bynum was kicked in the mouth following one of his five saves and had to leave the game.

“He came back and played very confidently and assuredly,” Grabill said.

Hanover has outscored its opponents 50-3 this season. The Marauders remain in first place in New Hampshire D-I and need one win in their final two games to clinch the top seed in the playoffs.

Next up is a visit from Exeter on Tuesday.

South Royalton 2 Whitcomb 1

South Royalton — Keenan Thompson had a goal and an assist as the Royals edged the visiting Hornets.

Benedikt Agustsson put Whitcomb in front early, scoring on an assist from Zak Gillette. Thompson then had the equalizer for South Royalton with 10 minutes left in the first half; Stephen Paige assisted. Nick Howe then had the game-winner for SoRo with 10 minutes to play in regulation, with Thompson picking up the helper.

Keeper Jayson Perron had 10 saves for the Royals (3-8-1), while Derek Gendron made 14 stops for Whitcomb (2-10-2).

The Hornets concluded their regular season with the loss; South Royalton hosts Twinfield on Saturday.

Woodsville 1, Lisbon 0

Lisbon, n.h. — The Engineers (12-1-1) won a nail-biter over the host Panthers.

Jamie LoCascio scored the only goal, his first of the season, with six minutes left to play. Mike Dennis assisted, feeding a nice cross to LoCascio on the 18-yard line to setup the game-winner.

Keeper Tom D’Angelo stopped six shots, including two extra-effort saves to rob the Panthers of goals while the game was still scoreless.

The Engineers (12-1-1) outshot Lisbon 19-6 and host Groveton on Wednesday.

Northfield Mount Hermon 0

Gill, Mass. — Both teams had chances to break the deadlock on Wednesday, but none better than the host’s chance with just 12 seconds remaining which hit the crossbar from seven yards out.

Max Matel had two saves and Dylan Ward had three in order to preserve the tie.

KUA is at Tilton School on Saturday.

Girls Soccer

Woodsville 3, Lisbon 0

Lisbon, n.h. — The Engineers exploded for three goals in the second half, improving to 13-0-1 with the victory.

Laura Rutherford, Louisa Noble and Ally O’Shana scored for the Woodsville; Dee Martin had an assist. Tori Clough made six saves in net for the Engineers’ eighth shutout of the season.

“The kids came out back on their heels, we didn’t play really aggressive in the first half. (In the second half) we passed the ball much better and finished nicely,” Woodsville coach Ann Loud said.

Whitcomb 2
South Royalton 0

South Royalton — The Hornets blanked the Royals to improve to 10-4.

Whitcomb had a pair of goals off corner kicks, the first by Jessica Chase in the first half. with an assist to Nicole Begin. Melanie Davis then scored in the second half with the assist going to Briana Hillier.

Keeper Shannon Ludwig had a strong game for the Hornets, while Alexis Madore and Larissa Stride split time in net for the Royals, stopping 12 shots. Whitcomb out-shot SoRo 20-14.

Royals coach Julian Villa credited his trio of seniors (Rebecca Paige, Olivia Phillip and Barbara Timian) for their strong play in the home finale for South Royalton (3-9-2).

Black River 3, Windsor 2

Ludlow, Vt. — The Jacks (2-9-3) concluded their regular season by putting quite a scare into the defending state champion Presidents (14-0).

Emily Williams scored off a Maryam Orogi assist to knot the score at 1-1 for Windsor early in the first half. The Jacks then took a 2-1 lead over the unbeaten Presidents when Orogi’s corner kick found the back of the net just before halftime. Black River answered with a pair of goals to edge the Jacks after the break.

Keeper Rebecca Rumrill made five outstanding saves, according to coach Bruce Mackay, and finished with 18 stops overall. Mackay praised the play of Orogi and Maddy Morse.

“We played right with them. They’re a good club, I was really proud of the way the kids hung in there, they showed a lot of intestinal fortitude,” Mackay added.

Field Hockey

Windsor 1
Springfield 0 (ot)

Springfield, Vt. — Haley Wood’s overtime goal lifted the Yellowjackets (9-4-1) over the Cosmos.

Wood scored unassisted with just over three minutes to play in overtime. Keeper Emma Saucier stopped nine shots for the shutout. Coach Sandy Clary praised the play of the Windsor defense led by Saucier and Mariah Marsh.

The Jacks now look forward to postseason seedings, to be announced on Monday.

Hanover 0, Goffstown 0

Goffstown, n.h. — The Marauders (8-5-1) battled for a draw on the Grizzlies’ senior day to hopefully secure a home game in the first round of the upcoming D-II playoffs.

Goalie B Sachsse made 10 saves, two of the “spectacular variety” according to coach Jean Essex, to anchor another strong performance by the Hanover defense. Essex also praised defenders Sophie Whitcomb, Charley Voelkel and Emma Butler.

“It was a good game, a lot of fun. On the road, it had a playoff intensity,” Essex added.

KUA 2, Brewster 2

Meriden — KUA scored first, and then scored last to earn the tie with visiting Brewster on Wednesday.

Hannah Madden redirected a crossing pass into the net just 37 seconds into the game to get KUA started. Brewster scored at 15:45 to tie the game and then again 10 minutes later to grab the lead.

The Wildcats finally put a scoring drive together with four minutes remaining. Anna Parker brought a rebound out to the center of the field and passed the ball up to Maya Karosas who worked with Madden and sophomore Kelsey Pollard to get bring the ball into the circle.

Madden passed the ball to Karosas, who found the back of the net to tie the game.