Cloudy
48°
Cloudy
Hi 50° | Lo 44°

Letter: A Fitting Way to Honor Kennedy

To the Editor:

Fifty years ago, Nov. 22, 1963, President Kennedy was killed by an assassin who bought his rifle through the mail. Today, an expanded mail-order market via the Internet enables 40 percent of gun sales to happen anytime without any background check at all. Imagine if stop signs applied only to 60 percent of drivers, and the remaining 40 percent slipped under the radar.

Some might say that Lee Harvey Oswald, Kennedy’s killer, would still have gotten a gun. Maybe, but do we still need to make it so easy for the Oswalds among us to obtain firearms?

If, like more than 90 percent of Americans, you think this loophole needs closing, call your federal and state lawmakers. It’s a fitting way to honor our 35th president on this anniversary of his tragic death.

Bob Williamson

South Woodstock