Hi 39° | Lo 18°

Claremont Hunts Robbery Suspect

Claremont — Police searched Friday for a man who robbed the One Credit Union on Charlestown Road at gunpoint around noon.

Claremont Police Capt. Mark Chase described the suspect as having a thin build and between 5-foot-8-inches and 6-feet tall. He was wearing a blue jacket and black ski mask.

“He showed signs of a weapon (a black handgun) and demanded money,” said Chase, who declined to disclose the amount of cash taken. “The staff complied with all requests and the person of interest ran on foot carrying two bags.”

Witnesses said he when he left the credit union along Route 12, the suspect ran across the parking lot of a HeadStart day care center next door and then onto Glenwood Drive and up into a residential area of dead-end streets known as Ledgewood, which also is the name of the main road in the neighborhood.

Both the credit union and day care center immediately went into lockdown and remained closed throughout the afternoon.

Police closed off the neighborhood at the bottom of Glenwood Drive and Charlestown Road. As a precaution, no vehicles were allowed access and those leaving were checked by police.

Chase said an employee of the credit union called 911 as the suspect was leaving. State police, the county sheriff and FBI were brought in to help with the search. Also alerted were nearby jurisdictions including Charlestown police.

“There were customers inside at the time and threats were made, but not directly at anyone,” Chase said.

Chase said police were on the scene within minutes of the employee’s 911 call and used a police dog to track the suspect in the Ledgewood area. The neighborhood was closed off for about an hour and a half.

Chase said the track ended somewhere in Ledgewood but was not sure of the exact spot.

State troopers and Claremont police walked and drove through the neighborhood knocking on doors to alert residents of the situation.

Police remained on scene at the credit union throughout the afternoon and Chase said they would continue to follow leads.

In addition to interviews, police used a digital recording of the robbery to develop a description of the suspect.

No one was harmed but Chase said understandably they were shaken up.

“It was a stressful incident and they are handling it as best they can,” he said.

A woman who answered the phone at the credit union said the company had no comment on the incident.

Patrick O’Grady can be reached at ogrady56@yahoo.com.