Letter: A Game of Political Chicken
To the Editor:
While the politics of extremism plays out in Washington like a game of “chicken,” the rest of the world looks on in disbelief. Is this what the great experiment in democracy has become, with each chamber of Congress making demands that it knows the other chamber will reject as we march toward insolvency? A small but vociferous minority in the House is committed to dismantling the signature law of this administration, despite the Supreme Court’s ruling that the law is constitutional. These same House members took an oath to uphold the Constitution.
The misinformation being spread by these politicians and their supporters about the Affordable Care Act, such as the false claim by Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, that Obamacare is the “No. 1 job killer,” does not pass the smell test. The act mandates businesses of 50 or more employees to provide health insurance. That amounts to 4 percent of all businesses. The employer mandate does not apply to the other 96 percent.
Extremist members of the House who have targeted Obamacare for destruction believe it threatens our fragile economic recovery. Economic experts point out that it does not. It appears that extremists despise this president so much that they are willing to turn America into a deadbeat nation in order to see him fail. Any president under these pressures, Republican or Democrat, would become angry and frustrated. Now President Obama has to contend with conservative talk radio hosts telling us we have an “angry black man in the White House.” Racism masked as opposition by extreme conservatives is still racism. Let’s hope that moderate members of the House prevail and pass a budget bill before the endgame of default arrives.