Letter: N.H. Gas Tax Refund

To the Editor:

It has come to my attention that many New Hampshire residents are unaware of the gas tax refund system. The gasoline tax is actually considered a road toll. As such, it is only proper for the state to keep your money if you use the gas for driving on the roads. You may have instead used the gas in a lawn mower, snowmobile, four- wheeler, etc. You can get a refund for the tax paid on the gas that you use off-road. Contact the Department of Safety Road Toll Bureau for more information, or download the form directly at http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/administration/roadtoll/documents/RT122G_000.pdf . You can find other refund forms for private school bus drivers (diesel), retailers and other categories at http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/administration/roadtoll/forms.html.

Rep. Steven Smith

Sullivan County, District 11