Clear
38°
Clear
Hi 64° | Lo 46°

South Royalton Blaze

With the fire from the adjacent garage completely extinguished, Royalton Firefighter Chris Ferris ensures the melted siding of an apartment complex is properly cooled in South Royalton, Vt., on July 22, 2014. South Royalton Fire Chief Paul Brock stated the fire was most likely started from a lawnmower that Richard Button returned after mowing the lawn. Button, who maintains the outdoor property owned by his cousin, Bruce Button, was weed whacking a field out of sight of the garage when the fire started. Sharon, Royalton, Tunbridge and Bethel fire departments responded to the fire. 
(Valley News - Sarah Priestap)

With the fire from the adjacent garage completely extinguished, Royalton Firefighter Chris Ferris ensures the melted siding of an apartment complex is properly cooled in South Royalton, Vt., on July 22, 2014. South Royalton Fire Chief Paul Brock stated the fire was most likely started from a lawnmower that Richard Button returned after mowing the lawn. Button, who maintains the outdoor property owned by his cousin, Bruce Button, was weed whacking a field out of sight of the garage when the fire started. Sharon, Royalton, Tunbridge and Bethel fire departments responded to the fire. (Valley News - Sarah Priestap) Purchase photo reprints »

South Royalton Fire Chief Paul Brock said a garage fire Tuesday morning on New Street, near Vermont Law School, likely started when a hot lawnmower was placed too close to a can of gasoline. The white paneled garage was a total loss, Brock said. Richard Button, who maintains the grounds at the property for his cousin, said he had returned the lawnmower to the garage and was heading to a nearby field to retrieve a weed whacker when the fire started. Valley News — Sarah Priestap