COVID-19: Hanover Terrace outbreak growing

Valley News Staff Writer
Published: 12/2/2020 10:11:31 PM
Modified: 12/2/2020 10:11:22 PM

HANOVER — A COVID-19 outbreak at a Hanover nursing home has grown to include at least 20 residents and more test results are still pending, according to the town’s health officer.

Fourteen more residents at Hanover Terrace, a nursing home on Lyme Road, were found to have COVID-19 in results released as of 4 p.m. on Wednesday, said Michael Hinsley, Hanover’s health officer. That’s in addition to the six that Hinsley and state officials said were identified on Tuesday.

At least one more staff member also has tested positive, Hinsley said. He has previously said there were multiple positive cases in workers, and it’s unclear whether and how the staff cases might be connected with the resident cases. Hanover Terrace officials said last week that one staff member had tested positive.

“This is a frightening situation,” Hinsley said in a phone interview. “This is agonizing for the staff (and it’s) unbelievably scary and stressful for family members.”

Email and phone messages seeking comment from Hanover Terrace Administrator Terry-Ann Gainer were not returned on Wednesday. Hinsley said he did not know the severity of the residents’ symptoms due to the illness.

As more test results come in, Hinsley said health officials will have a “clearer picture” of the state of the outbreak.

As of Wednesday, there were 27 cases in Hanover; 15 in Newport — the site of a previous nursing home outbreak that is now in its waning stages.

There were 11 cases in Claremont and 6 in Lebanon.

New Hampshire reported a total of 566 new cases on Wednesday, including 36 in Grafton County, where Hanover is; and three in neighboring Sullivan County.

Vermont reported 101 new cases on Wednesday, including four in Windsor County and three in Orange County. There have been 85 new cases in Orange County over the past two weeks and 64 in Windsor County over that time.

Valley Vista resumes admissions

BR ADFORD, Vt. — Valley Vista resumed admissions Wednesday after the last two rounds of testing of staff and patients found no additional cases of COVID-19, according to its chief operating officer.

Eight staff members in administrative or admissions positions at the Bradford addiction treatment center tested positive last month; the first on Nov. 16.

Most of the workers are slated to return to work this week, said Rick DiStefano, the COO and co-owner of Valley Vista.

New patients will be tested and quarantined as necessary, DiStefano said in an email on Tuesday. Staff members are equipped with surgical masks and eye protection, and patients also wear face coverings, he said.

Testing finds no additional cases at The Village at WRJ

WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — The results of COVID-19 Sunday tests of all staff and residents of The Village at White River Junction showed no additional positives after one staff member there tested positive last week, according to a spokeswoman for the Currier Street senior living facility.

The employee tested positive last Wednesday, Nov. 25, but had not been at work since the previous Saturday.

The subsequent negative tests indicate that the staff person’s positive result was “an isolated case,” spokeswoman Brooke Ciardelli said in an email Tuesday.

Enfield school goes remote

ENFIELD — Enfield Village School moved to remote instruction on Wednesday after school officials learned of a case there, according to the superintendent.

The Mascoma Valley Regional School District’s other schools remained open as contact tracing for the Enfield Village School case continues, Superintendent Amanda Isabelle said in a notification posted to Facebook on Tuesday evening.

Principal Harrison Little and the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services will be in touch with those considered close contacts to alert them to their possible exposure and to instruct them in how to quarantine, Isabelle said.

Claremont schools have cases

CLAREMONT — Claremont school officials announced two unrelated COVID-19 cases at Stevens High School and Disnard Elementary School in a Wednesday letter to families.

Neither school altered operations as result of the cases because both people had been out as they awaited their results, according to the letter from Assistant Superintendent Donna Magoon and Superintendent Michael Tempesta.

The schools also will not be conducting contact tracing because no one is believed to have been exposed during school hours, the letter said. Community members who had contact with either of the two people outside of school will be notified by the DHHS, according to the letter.

Nora Doyle-Burr can be reached at ndoyleburr@vnews.com or 603-727-3213.




Valley News

24 Interchange Drive
West Lebanon, NH 03784
603-298-8711

 

© 2020 Valley News
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy