Thank you for your interest in and support of the Valley News. So far, we have raised 80% of the funds required to host journalists Claire Potter and Alex Driehaus for their one-year placements in the Upper Valley through Report for America, a national service program that boosts local news by harnessing community support.

Please consider donating to this effort.

Trial for Hanover drive-by shooting from 2018 makes it on the docket, with a few wrinkles

  • Gage Young, of Lebanon, appeared with Public Defender Jamie Brooks, right, in Grafton Superior Court in North Haverhill, N.H., to plead not guilty to charges including second-degree assault with a deadly weapon, reckless conduct with a deadly weapon and falsifying physical evidence Monday, Nov. 5, 2018. Gage is accused of shooting of an 18-year-old Providence College student in Hanover, N.H., Friday night. (Valley News - James M. Patterson) Copyright Valley News. May not be reprinted or used online without permission. Send requests to permission@vnews.com. Valley News file photograph — James M. Patterson

Valley News Staff Writer
Published: 9/22/2021 10:42:16 PM
Modified: 9/23/2021 10:50:31 AM

NORTH HAVERHILL — The trial of a 25-year-old Lebanon man accused in a drive-by shooting in downtown Hanover almost three years ago is slated to be held next month, though some legal issues still need to be resolved.

Prosecutors have filed a motion to consolidate the trial of Gage Young with that of Hector Correa, who was 17 and a minor at the time but has recently been charged as an adult in the case.

Both men are charged with first-degree assault with a firearm, second-degree assault with a firearm and reckless conduct with a deadly weapon in the Nov. 2, 2018, shooting of Thomas Elliott, a Providence College student who was walking with friends on School Street while visiting a friend at Dartmouth College.

Elliott was struck in the back but recovered.

About 90 minutes after the shooting, Young and Correa were arrested along Route 10 in Lebanon after attempting to escape from police and crashing the car they were driving, police said.

Correa has been charged with reckless conduct with a deadly weapon in connection with the crash — police have said he was the driver; Young has been charged with reckless conduct with a deadly weapon and falsifying physical evidence because police alleged he threw the gun that was used in the shooting from the vehicle when it crashed.

Correa, who is now 20, told police that Young was the shooter, according to court documents, but Young’s attorney has said Correa has given inconsistent statements in several interviews.

Prosecutors said in a court filing last week that consolidating the trials for Correa and Young would make sense because they “arise from the same event and, for the most part, involve the same witnesses,” and would save two weeks of court time and avoid having to call as many as 75 witnesses more than once.

Richard Guerriero, Young’s defense attorney, has objected. He contends that if Correa’s statement incriminating Young as the gunman was introduced as evidence, his client would have no way to cross-examine Correa should the younger man decline to testify for fear of self-incrimination.

Assistant Grafton County Attorney Marian Pastore, who is prosecuting the case, has proposed entering Correa’s statement into the trial record as part of his prosecution but excising all references to Young, according to a court motion.

Superior Court Judge Lawrence MacLeod has yet to rule on the motion to consolidate, but a final pretrial conference is scheduled for Wednesday with jury selection set for Oct. 5 and a two-week trial in Grafton Superior Court in North Haverhill scheduled to begin on Oct. 18.

Young, whose father is a former Lebanon police officer, was released on bail in early 2020 and has been required to live with his family in West Lebanon. Correa, who was arraigned last week, is being held on preventative detention in the Grafton County jail.

Grafton County Attorney Marcie Hornick said the state is eager to prosecute the case after a series of delays that can be hard on a victim.

“This case has been sitting way too long unaddressed and it needs to go forward,” she said.

Guerriero, the defense attorney, said he was limited in what he could discuss about an upcoming trial: “The most I can say is we don’t agree with the allegations made by the state and we look forward to resolving this at trial.”

Messages left for Correa’s Newport, N.H.-based attorney, Bruce Jasper, were not returned.

John P. Gregg can be reached at jgregg@vnews.com or 603-727-3217.




Valley News

24 Interchange Drive
West Lebanon, NH 03784
603-298-8711

 

© 2021 Valley News
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy