Gas worker injured at DHMC

Valley News Staff Writer
Published: 12/6/2019 10:35:59 AM

LEBANON — A gas company worker suffered a “significant head injury” Thursday after being struck by a high-pressure hose at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center’s heating plant, according to Lebanon fire officials.

The 46-year-old employee of the Massachusetts-based oil and gas delivery company Xpress Natural Gas was at the heating plant on the DHMC campus around 2 p.m. when the incident happened, according to a news release from the Lebanon Fire Department. She was injured when she was struck in the head by a “failed high-pressure compressed natural gas supply hose that was being connected” to a bulk CNG trailer near the heating plant, the news release said.

The woman, whom firefighters did not identify publicly, was conscious and was taken to DHMC’s emergency department, according to the release. Officials with the fire department did not know the woman’s condition as of Friday morning.

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s Concord office is investigating both DHMC and Xpress Natural Gas for potential safety violations following the incident, Ted Fitzgerald, a spokesman for OSHA, said in an email Friday. The agency has six months to complete its investigation.

OSHA has responded to one incident at DHMC in the past 10 years, according to the department’s website. In January 2017, officials investigated a complaint involving a forklift but found no violation and closed the case the same day.

DHMC has been using natural gas to heat the medical center since 2013, when it converted from No. 6 fuel oil. Calls to Xpress Natural Gas were not returned Friday.

DHMC spokeswoman Audra Burns declined comment Friday.

Anna Merriman can be reached at amerriman@vnews.com or 603-727-3216.




Valley News

24 Interchange Drive
West Lebanon, NH 03784
603-298-8711

 

© 2019 Valley News
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy