WE APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC

We continue to make our coronavirus coverage free to everyone at www.vnews.com/coronavirus. If you believe local news is essential, please consider subscribing or making a donation today. Learn more at the links below.


Hanover High reports COVID-19 case

Valley News Staff Writer
Published: 10/16/2020 10:05:31 PM
Modified: 10/16/2020 10:05:23 PM

HANOVER — School officials announced a case of COVID-19 at Hanover High School on Friday.

The announcement from Superintendent Jay Badams came following the discovery of two other cases of COVID-19 in Hanover schools last week.

“We are actively working with and following guidelines from the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services,” Badams wrote in his Friday morning notice to staff members and families.

In a later message to the school community, Badams said that because of a state “backlog” of cases requiring contact tracing, “We have been proactive and have taken on the task of notifying close contacts and working with the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center to have individuals tested. This will prevent individuals from having to wait before contact tracers from DHHS call.”

School officials also said they were “confident in students and staff returning to all of our schools on Monday. The contact tracing involves a fairly small number of individuals.”

Badams urged members of the school community who are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms such as fever, chills, respiratory issues or a change in smell or taste to stay away from others and to get tested.

He noted that the school is following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s guidelines for cleaning and disinfecting. He also recommended everyone continue to take steps to prevent the spread of the disease, including hand washing, social distancing, wearing a mask and staying home when sick.

School officials announced the district’s first case at the Bernice A. Ray Elementary School on Oct. 9. The next day, they announced a second case at the Richmond Middle School.

Hanover schools were closed last Friday and this Monday for the Indigenous Peoples Day holiday. The Richmond Middle School also was closed on Tuesday to allow for contact tracing.

Also last week, the Lebanon School District announced two cases, one in the high school and another in the middle school, which prompted a one-day closure of the schools last week and cancellation of extracurricular activities through the long Columbus Day weekend. Those schools reopened as usual on Tuesday.

Earlier this week, the Vermont Health Department announced one case in a staff member at the Windsor School. Two or three other members of the staff had to quarantine due to their contact with the positive case, but the staff member did not have prolonged contact with teachers or students so they were not affected.

As of Friday, there were 894 active cases of COVID-19 in New Hampshire, including 26 in Grafton County and four in Sullivan County. There have been a total of 9,514 cases in the state.

In Vermont, there had been a total of 1,915 cases of COVID-19. Within the past 14 days, there have been 16 cases in Windsor County and three in Orange County.

Nora Doyle-Burr can be reached at ndoyleburr@vnews.com or 603-727-3213.




Valley News

24 Interchange Drive
West Lebanon, NH 03784
603-298-8711

 

© 2020 Valley News
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy