Please support the Valley News during the COVID-19 pandemic

The COVID-19 pandemic has brought the local economy — and many of the advertisers who support our work — to a near standstill. During this unprecedented challenge, we continue to make our coronavirus coverage free to everyone at www.vnews.com/coronavirus because we feel our most critical mission is to deliver vital information to our communities.

If you believe local news is essential, especially during this crisis, we are asking for your support. Please consider subscribing or making a donation today. Learn more at the links below.

Thank you for your support of the Valley News.

Dan McClory, publisher


Claremont sees fifth residential fire in less than two months

Staff Report
Published: 5/28/2020 9:51:43 PM
Modified: 5/28/2020 9:51:36 PM

CLAREMONT — Firefighters responded Wednesday to the fifth residential fire in the city in less than two months, according to a news release from Claremont Fire Chief Bryan Burr.

No one was injured in the fire, which was called in at around 6:45 p.m. at a home at 20 Stone Ave., the release said. When they arrived, fire crews found smoke throughout the one-story ranch-style home and a bedroom on fire. One person was at the house at the time but had no injuries, the release said.

Firefighters were able to get the blaze under control by 7 p.m. and found that the bedroom had fire damage, while the rest of the house had moderate smoke and water damage, according to Burr.

Wednesday’s fire is the fifth since early April, though they are not thought to be connected and none are considered suspicious, fire officials said. On Sunday four people jumped from a home that was on flames at 86 Chestnut St.; last week a Mulberry Street home was heavily damaged in a blaze.

On May 5, Mia Follensbee, 29, was killed in a fire at her Myrtle Street home, and in early April Francis Viola Jr., 58, was killed in a Dennison Avenue fire.

“None of the fires the city has experienced are connected and none are considered arson or suspicious in nature,” Burr wrote in the release.

He urged residents not to leave smoking materials unattended and to properly dispose of them when finished. Burr also reminded residents to not leave flames — including candles or stovetops — unattended and to not overload or misuse appliances.




Valley News

24 Interchange Drive
West Lebanon, NH 03784
603-298-8711

 

© 2019 Valley News
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy