Please support the Valley News during the COVID-19 pandemic

The COVID-19 pandemic has brought the local economy — and many of the advertisers who support our work — to a near standstill. During this unprecedented challenge, we continue to make our coronavirus coverage free to everyone at www.vnews.com/coronavirus because we feel our most critical mission is to deliver vital information to our communities.

If you believe local news is essential, especially during this crisis, we are asking for your support. Please consider subscribing or making a donation today. Learn more at the links below.

Thank you for your support of the Valley News.

Dan McClory, publisher


Fire destroys Woodstock home after staining rags left on porch

Staff Report
Published: 6/5/2020 6:29:54 PM
Modified: 6/5/2020 6:29:42 PM

WOODSTOCK — A house in a rural part of Woodstock was destroyed by a fire Thursday afternoon that started when the owner left rags used for staining in a bag on the porch, according to a news release from the Vermont Department of Public Safety.

No one was injured in the blaze at 1274 Dunham Hill Road, which was reported by a neighbor around 2:45 p.m. When firefighters arrived they found the structure mostly collapsed and “completely consumed by fire,” the release said.

On Friday morning, investigators with the Department of Public Safety’s Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit examined the scene and found that the owner, whom the release identified as Richard Terwelp, had left staining rags in a black plastic bag on the back porch of the house, according to the release.

Investigators deemed the fire accidental and warned people using staining rags to let them dry fully before throwing them away.




Valley News

24 Interchange Drive
West Lebanon, NH 03784
603-298-8711

 

© 2019 Valley News
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy