Thank you for your interest in and support of the Valley News. So far, we have raised 80% of the funds required to host journalists Claire Potter and Alex Driehaus for their one-year placements in the Upper Valley through Report for America, a national service program that boosts local news by harnessing community support.

Please consider donating to this effort.

Quiet speaks volumes, spoils Cardinals’ football finale

Valley News Correspondent
Published: 11/1/2019 10:40:53 PM
Modified: 11/1/2019 10:40:38 PM

CLAREMONT — Hillsboro-Deering/Hopkinton tailback Colby Quiet rushed for three touchdowns in the Redhawks’ 27-6 win over Stevens High on Friday night in an NHIAA Division III football game at Barnes Park.

Quiet, at 5-feet-10 and 170 pounds, ran for well over 100 yards, including a 52-yard score from scrimmage with 3:26 to go in the first quarter, giving the visitors a 14-0 lead.

“The kid is one of the best running backs in the division,” said Stevens coach Paul Silva after the game. “He has run over a lot of people. I think he had one big run, but every gain he had to work for. That is all you can ask of the kids is to give the effort they gave.”

One bright spot for the Cardinals came at the end of the first half with a goal-line stand that prevented a Redhawk score with the clock running out after a stop on the 1-yard line.

Quiet scored the game’s first touchdown at the 6:26 mark of the first quarter on a 9-yard run after carries of 16 and 20 yards on a four-play drive that began on the 47-yard line.

Offensively, the Cardinals were unable to sustain any momentum and had several miscues, including three lost fumbles and a couple of bad snaps for losses.

“We have got to clean up the turnovers,” Silva said. “We have got to find a way to keep drives going without turning the ball over. Until we do, we are not going to be able to consistently score points.”

One of the Cardinals’ best scoring chances came in the second quarter, after a pass from Owen Taylor to his brother, Alex, that brought the Cardinals to the Redhawks 27-yard line. But they turned the ball over on a fumble on the next snap.

“I thought we had chances early in the game to get on the board but didn’t get it done,” Silva said.

HD/Hopkinton made it 20-0 in the second quarter on a four-play drive from the Cardinals’ 38. The big gain was a run by Jack Morrall from the 32-yard line to the 3, where Dylan Barrett ran it in for the score. The extra point was no good. Morrall was later ejected for a personal foul after being tackled by the Cardinals’ Lucas Mudge.

An Alex Taylor interception at the 5-yard line late in the third period halted a Redhawk drive, but the Cardinals turned the ball over downs on the next possession when they were stopped on a fourth-and-1 at the 27. Two plays later, Quiet ran it in for his third score of the night from 11 yards out, making it 27-0.

The Cardinals got on the board with 5:30 to go when senior running back Keegan McAllister ran around the end from 5 yards out, capping a 10-play drive that began at the HD/Hopkinton 35-yard line.

“I love the fact these kids refused to quit,” said Silva. “Down 27-0 and they go down the field and get a touchdown.”

Silva said they will be ready to play next week, likely against Campbell.

“I love this group of kids. I love this group of seniors,” Silva said. “I know it is their last game on this field, but we are in the playoffs, so we get another chance to play next week. We go back to work Monday and get ready for the playoffs.”

Valley News

24 Interchange Drive
West Lebanon, NH 03784


© 2021 Valley News
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy