Squirrel Triggers Power Outage in New Hampshire

Thursday, January 05, 2017

Concord — Nearly 5,000 people in New Hampshire were briefly left without power after a squirrel sparked a small fire at a transformer.

The website seacoastonline.com reported on Wednesday that the outage impacted large areas of Exeter, N.H., and nearby Kensington, N.H.

The tree-dwelling rodent tripped a breaker, causing the fire.

The Exeter Fire Department said about three-fourths of the town had lost power.

Alec O’Meara, a media manager for the utility Unitil, confirmed that power had been lost for about an hour and that it had been restored by 5 p.m. The company posted a photo of damage from the fire at one of its substations.