×

Firefighters Knock Down Blaze at Springfield, Vt., Residence



Thursday, November 08, 2018

Springfield, Vt. — Firefighters on Wednesday night battled a two-alarm blaze that tore through a residential building in Springfield.

The fire broke out around 9:45 p.m. at 50 Valley St., an occupied residential building, Vermont State Police said in a Thursday news release. Upon arrival at the scene, officials quickly upgraded the fire to a second alarm, drawing assistance from several mutual aid departments. There was heavy fire on the west side of the building, as well as fire extending up the exterior and interior walls to the third floor and roof, according to the news release. Crews were able to contain the fire to the building, which suffered heavy fire and water damage estimated at more than $120,000, officials said.

State police and Vermont Division of Fire Safety investigators responded to the scene on Thursday morning and determined that the fire began on the west side of the building’s basement and was caused by a pellet stove’s exhaust pipe. The fire spread from the stove to combustible materials that were being used as insulation nearby, the release said, causing the fire to rip through the building.

No one was reported injured in the fire, which is not considered suspicious, and pets that were inside the residence at the time survived unharmed. The residents were not home when the fire began, police said.

The building is owned by Michael Hopkins, of Springfield, according to property data.

Anyone with information about the fire is asked to contact Vermont State Police Detective Senior Sgt. Thomas Williams at 802-773-9101.