×

N.H. felon charged with reckless conduct with gun

  • Douglas C. Smith (Warner Police photograph)



Friday, September 06, 2019

WARNER, N.H. — A 30-year-old Warner man was ordered held on $10,000 cash bail on Friday after being charged with firing a handgun at a moving vehicle, police said.

Douglas C. Smith Jr., 30, was arraigned Friday in Merrimack Superior Court on the felony charges of being a felon in possession of a dangerous weapon and reckless conduct with a firearm, and the misdemeanors of criminal mischief, criminal threatening, resisting arrest or detention, and receiving stolen property, according to a news release from Warner police.

Smith allegedly “brandished a handgun and shot a moving vehicle” at the scene of a disturbance on Parade Ground Cemetery Road on Aug. 18, the release said. Nobody was injured.

Police obtained arrest warrants last month, but Smith remained at large until Thursday, when he voluntarily surrendered and was taken into custody, police said. New Hampshire State Police; New London police; Hopkinton, N.H., police; and the U.S. Marshals Service were involved in the case, the release said.

Smith, who previously lived in Grafton, has an extensive criminal record and is a registered sex offender. He was convicted of felonious sexual assault in 2009, according to state records, and has also been convicted of criminal threatening, burglary and assault. 

When Smith and his wife, Ashley, were tenants of a home in Main Street in Grafton in 2018, they shared the living quarters with Trish Haynes, a 26-year-old New Hampshire woman who was last seen alive in late June or July last summer. Her body was found in a washer-dryer set that was pulled from Grants Pond in a remote part of Grafton last September.

The Attorney General’s Office on Friday said no arrests have been made in the homicide, and the case remains under investigation.