×

Claremont Man Pleads Not Guilty to Assault, Drug Theft Charges in Shooting Case

  • Terrell Watson



Valley News Correspondent
Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Newport— The Claremont man arrested last week and charged with first-degree assault in connection with a shooting on High Street remains held without bail following a hearing on Tuesday in Sullivan County Superior Court.

Terrell Watson, 33, waived his arraignment and entered pleas of not guilty to several felony charges, Superior Court Judge Brian Tucker said.

Sullivan County Attorney Marc Hathaway told Tucker he had reached an agreement with Watson’s attorney, public defender Tony Hutchins, to have Watson remain in jail but the defense reserved the right to request a bail hearing at a later date. Tuesday’s hearing lasted about a minute before Watson, shackled at the ankles and wrists, was led out of the courtroom and returned to jail.

Authorities have released very little information on the Oct. 2 incident in which an unidentified male suffered a gunshot wound to the neck around 12:30 in the morning. The alleged victim arrived at Golden Cross Ambulance and was transported to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Police said the man’s injury was “serious” but not life-threatening.

Watson was arrested on Oct. 3 in Newport and charged with first-degree assault, being a felon in possession of a firearm, one count of possession of controlled drugs and one count of theft by unauthorized taking, all felonies. The Sullivan County Sheriff’s Department also charged Watson with one count of contempt of court. Watson’s arraignment was postponed last week when Watson was too “impaired” for court, according to public defender Hutchins.

As part of the investigation, police also went to Twin Valley Estates mobile home park in Charlestown on the morning of Oct. 2, even calling in a SWAT team, but the reason for that has not been revealed.

— Patrick O’Grady