×

Lyme home damaged in weekend fire


Sunday, February 10, 2019

Lyme — No one was injured in a three-alarm house fire that brought crews from at least nine towns to Maple Lane in Lyme on Saturday night, but damage was extensive enough to make the home uninhabitable. The Lyme Fire Department responded to the fire just before 11 p.m. on Saturday, according to Lyme Fire Chief Michael Mundy. The home’s four occupants were alerted to the blaze by smoke detectors and made it out of the home safely, he said. There were no pets. The fire likely began in the home’s chimney and spread to the attic, Mundy said. Finding the attic fully involved, the department summoned assistance from surrounding towns including Hanover, Thetford, Orford, Fairlee, Bradford, Hartford, Lebanon and Strafford. The cold weather and the long driveway leading up to the home created a challenge for fire crews, Mundy explained. Tanker trucks had to park at the bottom of the driveway, making access difficult. The last of the fire crews left the scene at about 4 a.m. on Sunday. Mundy said there was substantial damage to the house but that the damage is definitely reparable.