Lebanon apartment building fire displaces 6; many smoke detectors disabled, chief says

Published: 1/17/2020 5:30:10 PM
Modified: 1/17/2020 5:29:16 PM
Lebanon apartment building fire displaces 6

LEBANON — Six people were displaced from their Lebanon apartments this week after a small fire broke out in the living room of one unit.

Firefighters responded to a call around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday and found smoke coming from a first-floor unit at the Boulders Apartments on 20 Wolf Road, according to a news release from the Lebanon Fire Department.

Once inside, fire crews from Lebanon, along with help from Canaan, Hartford and Hanover, battled the fire for around 30 minutes before they got it under control, the release said.

According to Lebanon Fire Chief Chris Christopoulos, the fire likely started from an unattended candle left in the living area of the apartment.

After the fire, crews looked through the building’s 12 apartments and found eight that had missing or disabled smoke detectors.

“(Smoke detectors) are critical to alert the occupants,” Christopolous said.

The Red Cross found temporary housing for around six people who were displaced due to smoke and water damage as a result of the fire.




Valley News

24 Interchange Drive
West Lebanon, NH 03784
603-298-8711

 

© 2021 Valley News
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy