Lebanon man accused in Hanover drive-by shooting allowed to leave house for work

  • Gage Young, of Lebanon, appeared with Public Defender Jamie Brooks, right, in Grafton Superior Court in North Haverhill, N.H., to plead not guilty to charges including second-degree assault with a deadly weapon, reckless conduct with a deadly weapon and falsifying physical evidence Monday, Nov. 5, 2018. Gage is accused of shooting of an 18-year-old Providence College student in Hanover, N.H., Friday night. (Valley News - James M. Patterson) Copyright Valley News. May not be reprinted or used online without permission. Send requests to permission@vnews.com. James M. Patterson

Valley News Staff Writer
Published: 9/17/2020 9:42:14 PM
Modified: 9/17/2020 9:42:04 PM

NORTH HAVERHILL — A 24-year-old Lebanon man accused of wounding a visiting college student in a drive-by shooting near the Dartmouth Green two years ago has been allowed to return to work while he awaits the outcome of his case, according to a recent judge’s order.

Early this month, Grafton Superior Court Judge Lawrence MacLeod granted a motion filed by an attorney representing Gage Young asking that he be allowed to leave his parents’ Lebanon home for the sole purpose of going to work.

Young, who is facing charges of first- and second-degree assault, reckless conduct and falsifying evidence, has been confined to the home on house arrest since he was released from the Grafton County House of Corrections in January. His case was originally scheduled to go to trial in May or June, but was pushed back due to the outbreak of COVID-19, which has forced the suspension of most criminal trials in New Hampshire.

Young’s attorney, Richard Guerriero, said in an interview Tuesday that a new trial date has not been set.

In the motion, Guerriero wrote that Young is living with his father, David Young, a former Lebanon police officer, and his mother, who are paying for his “room and board” as well as his electronic monitoring device, which costs $80 a week.

“For their own sake, Mr. Young’s parents need him to be able to contribute to his own support,” Guerriero wrote.

Before his arrest, Young worked in construction and worked part time as a barber; he currently has job offers, the motion said.

Guerriero said Young remains unemployed. The judge’s order granting the motion does not mean Young is released from house arrest, but rather that he’s allowed to leave the house only to attend work, Guerriero said.

Young is accused of firing a single shot from a passing car on School Street in downtown Hanover, hitting and injuring Providence College freshman Thomas Elliott, who was visiting a friend at Dartmouth in November 2018. Elliott has since recovered from his injuries.

Young, who police say went back to his parents’ house to change clothes following the shooting, was arrested alongside the driver of the car, 17-year-old Hector Correa, a short time later in West Lebanon. Correa was originally scheduled to testify in the case, but his name has since been removed from prosecutors’ witness list.

The case was planned for an early January trial, but just days after jury selection, prosecutors filed a sealed motion for a protective order, which was granted by the judge.

Shortly after that, the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office, which was previously not involved in the case, filed a 114-page “ex parte submission of investigative materials.” An ex parte submission is a document that’s filed in a case and may not require a response from the other party.

Nearly every filing since then has been sealed, and most hearings in the case since January have been closed to the public, according to a case list. In early August, the prosecutors’ office filed a sealed motion to release “EES documents,” which was granted by a judge.

In New Hampshire, EES commonly refers to “Exculpatory Evidence Schedule,” more commonly known as the “Laurie List.” It’s a list of police officers who have engaged in misconduct that reflects poorly on their credibility. The list has been maintained and overseen by the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office since 2017.

Both Grafton County Attorney Marcie Hornick, whose office is prosecuting the case, and Guerriero declined to comment on the reason for the sealed documents.

Anna Merriman can be reached at amerriman@vnews.com or 603-727-3216.




Valley News

24 Interchange Drive
West Lebanon, NH 03784
603-298-8711

 

© 2021 Valley News
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy