WE APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC

We continue to make our coronavirus coverage free to everyone at www.vnews.com/coronavirus. If you believe local news is essential, please consider subscribing or making a donation today. Learn more at the links below.


Home destroyed in Claremont fire

Staff Report
Published: 10/26/2020 6:49:24 PM
Modified: 10/26/2020 9:10:44 PM

CLAREMONT — An electrical fire burned through a home on Bellic Street Sunday night, destroying the house and killing “scores” of pets inside, according to Claremont Fire Chief Bryan Burr. 

The homeowner was away from the house on 24 Bellic St. at the time of the blaze, which a neighbor called in around 5:40 p.m. Sunday, Burr said. He said the man lived alone in the 1½ story, single-family structure, and that no one else was at the house when the fire broke out. 

When crews arrived they saw smoke pouring from the house, but couldn’t allow many firefighters inside at once because the structure was compromised, he said. They got the flames under control at 5:58 p.m. but the house was deemed uninhabitable following the fire. Crews were able to save at least three pets from the home, but there were many more that had died inside, Burr said. 

“There were scores of cats and dogs in the building, mostly deceased,” he said. 

Claremont assessing records indicate the home is owned by Daniel Broughton Sr, who purchased it in 2003. 

During an investigation, Burr said crews found that the fire started on the second floor of the single-family home, and that it was likely caused by an electric overload. He said the house also did not have any working smoke detectors. 

The Claremont Fire Department offers a free program to install smoke detectors in any home within the city, Burr added. 




Valley News

24 Interchange Drive
West Lebanon, NH 03784
603-298-8711

 

© 2020 Valley News
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy