Former Claremont substitute teacher pleads not guilty to sexual assault charges

Staff Report
Published: 12/10/2019 10:03:43 PM

NEWPORT — A former Claremont Schools substitute teacher has pleaded not guilty to allegations he inappropriately touched a special-needs student earlier this year.

George T. Caccavaro, 78, waived his arraignment, which was scheduled for Tuesday, and entered the plea last month to two misdemeanor charges of sexual assault, according to his attorney, George Ostler.

The Claremont man is accused of grabbing the buttocks of the Stevens High School special-needs student, who is over 18, and thrusting his pelvis against her during a hug, according to an affidavit from Claremont Police Detective Casey Piehl filed in Claremont district court. During an interview with police in October, Caccavaro admitted to inappropriately touching the student and said it happened while they were on a school trip to volunteer at a local nonprofit, the affidavit said.

Caccavaro worked as a substitute teacher with the Claremont School District from early 2017 until the allegations surfaced in February, according to a spokesperson for the school district.

He also worked as a business administrator at the Newport School District, and is a former business administrator for the Mascoma Valley Regional School District. He resigned from his position with the Newport School District in October and turned himself in to police the same day. He was released on personal recognizance bail after his interview with police

The case was moved from Claremont District Court to Newport District Court last week. Caccavaro is scheduled to return to court for a status conference on Jan. 7.




Valley News

24 Interchange Drive
West Lebanon, NH 03784
603-298-8711

 

© 2019 Valley News
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy