The Valley News has been selected to add two journalists — a photojournalist and a climate and environment reporter — to our newsroom through Report for America, a national service program that boosts local news by harnessing community support.

Please consider donating to this effort.

COVID-19: Restaurants, Co-op Market adapt after employees test positive

Valley News Staff Writer
Published: 3/19/2021 9:27:08 PM
Modified: 3/19/2021 9:27:05 PM

HANOVER — Several Upper Valley food-related businesses have had to alter their operations in recent weeks due to cases of COVID-19.

The Co-op Market on Lyme Road in Hanover closed on Thursday to allow for deep cleaning after a staff member tested positive, said Paul Guidone, general manager of the Co-op Food Stores, in a Friday message posted to the stores’ website.

The store is slated to reopen on Monday with limited hours through next week while other workers who had contact with the infected worker, who was last in the store on Tuesday, are in quarantine. Beginning Monday, the reduced hours will be from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. It will reopen for regular Monday to Friday hours, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., on March 29.

Elsewhere, Kitchen 56 in Enfield also closed Thursday after an employee, who last worked on Wednesday, tested positive, according to a Facebook post.

Other employees at the American-style restaurant who had contact with the infected person have tested negative, said Doug Langevin, the restaurant’s chef/owner, in a Friday email. Langevin said he plans to reopen on Wednesday after the restaurant is sanitized and deep cleaned.

“Being a small business of only nine employees, we have certainly had our ups and downs during these difficult times,” he wrote in his email.

Earlier this month, Worthy Kitchen in Woodstock closed for the weekend of March 5 after an employee tested positive, according to its Facebook page. It reopened the following week for takeout only. Its sister restaurant Worthy Burger in South Royalton also closed to allow for contact tracing on March 7 and reopened for takeout only later that week. It’s now closed through the end of the month for vacation.

Most Lebanon High cases related

LEBANON — Four of the five COVID-19 cases at Lebanon High School in the past week were related, according to school officials.

But transmission of the virus is believed to have occurred off campus, Lebanon High School Principal Ian Smith said in a Thursday message to families. No change to the school’s learning model was necessary because contact tracing was successful in identifying those who may have been exposed to the affected individuals, Smith wrote.

As a result of the first case, which school officials learned of on March 12, several students, including two members of the school’s basketball team, and one employee were required to quarantine. Several more students and two more employees were required to quarantine following contact tracing of the other four cases announced on Monday and Tuesday.

No additional cases have been identified and most of those in quarantine are expected to return to in-person learning on Monday, Smith said. In addition, most school employees will get their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine on Saturday.

“We are hopeful for a healthy spring for all,” he said.

Other Upper Valley schools see cases

CHARLESTOWN — One classroom was dismissed “out of an abundance of caution” on Thursday after school officials learned of one COVID-19 case at Charlestown Primary School.

That was the second of two cases at Charlestown Primary School announced this week. The first was announced Monday. Charlestown Middle School also reported a case on Tuesday.

Elsewhere in the Upper Valley, Hartford High School and Grantham Village School also had single cases this week.

The Hartford case required no changes to the school’s operations, Superintendent Tom DeBalsi said in an email.

Similarly, because the infected person in Grantham hadn’t been in school for several days before the infectious period, no contact tracing or quarantine was necessary, according to a message announcing the case from Superintendent Sydney Leggett.

Nora Doyle-Burr can be reached at ndoyleburr@vnews.com or 603-727-3213.




Valley News

24 Interchange Drive
West Lebanon, NH 03784
603-298-8711

 

© 2020 Valley News
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy