Please support the Valley News during the COVID-19 pandemic

The COVID-19 pandemic has brought the local economy — and many of the advertisers who support our work — to a near standstill. During this unprecedented challenge, we continue to make our coronavirus coverage free to everyone at because we feel our most critical mission is to deliver vital information to our communities.

If you believe local news is essential, especially during this crisis, we are asking for your support. Please consider subscribing or making a donation today. Learn more at the links below.

Thank you for your support of the Valley News.

Dan McClory, publisher

Buffalo Wild Wings chemical mixture leaves 1 dead, 10 hospitalized

  • Emergency crews at the Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant in Burlington, Mass. Thursday night, Nov. 7, 2019. Massachusetts authorities say an employee of the restaurant has died and eight others have been hospitalized following a chemical mixture at the restaurant. WHDH-TV reports officials responded Thursday night to reports of a chemical reaction in the kitchen area of the Burlington restaurant where they found a male employee suffering from nausea. (John Guilfoil via AP)

The Washington Post
Published: 11/8/2019 9:32:32 PM
Modified: 11/8/2019 9:32:18 PM

BURLINGTON, Mass. — A Massachusetts Buffalo Wild Wings is under investigation after a chemical mixture inside the kitchen killed one employee and left at least 13 staff members and customers hospitalized Thursday, authorities said.

Burlington, Mass., fire officials’ preliminary investigation Friday showed that 32-year-old Ryan Baldera was overcome by the fumes after a second employee combined two cleaning agents to the restaurant’s kitchen floor while attempting to clean it.

Baldera, the general manager, died after being rushed to a hospital Thursday night.

Authorities say the Lawrence resident was married and had an infant son.

According to Boston’s WHDH-TV, the fire department responded to the restaurant chain’s location in Burlington, Mass., about 15 miles northwest of Boston, just after 5:30 p.m. A team of firefighters wearing hazmat suits found a male worker suffering from nausea.

Interim Burlington Fire Chief Michael Patterson said at a news conference Thursday that the man had been exposed to the chemical, which was being used to clean the floor, after another individual mixed it and became ill.

Authorities said that at the time Baldera inhaled the fumes, he was trying to save others from the chemical.

A statement released Thursday by a Buffalo Wild Wings spokesperson said, “We are shocked and saddened to learn of this horrific accident at our franchise-owned sports bar and are working closely with our franchisee and the authorities while they conduct an investigation.”

Local authorities continue to investigate the incident. Patterson urged people who were at the restaurant Thursday to seek medical attention.

Valley News

24 Interchange Drive
West Lebanon, NH 03784


© 2019 Valley News
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy