The Valley News has been selected to add two journalists — a photojournalist and a climate and environment reporter — to our newsroom through Report for America, a national service program that boosts local news by harnessing community support.

Please consider donating to this effort.

Social Security Q&A: How to Report Address Change for SSI Benefits

Sunday, July 19, 2015
Question: My father receives Supplemental Security Income. He recently moved, but he hasn’t reported his new address to Social Security yet. What’s the easiest way to do that?

Answer: You can check your address online by using your personal my Social Security account at

It is very important that Social Security has your father’s most up-to-date information, including any change in income, resources or living arrangements. This will guarantee that he is getting the benefit amount to which he is entitled.

You can learn more about the rights and responsibilities of Supplemental Security Income recipients at

Q: I am about to get married, and I currently receive Supplemental Security Income. Will getting married affect my payments?

A: Yes, getting married can change your SSI benefits, and you need to report it. If you marry, your spouse’s income and resources may change your SSI benefit. If you and your spouse both get SSI, your benefit amount will change from an individual rate to a couple’s rate. Although getting married won’t usually affect your Social Security disability or retirement benefits, that is not the case if you receive SSI payments.

Learn more by reading Supplemental Security Income, at

For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213 or visit

Valley News

24 Interchange Drive
West Lebanon, NH 03784


© 2020 Valley News
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy