Cloudy
62°
Cloudy
Hi 74° | Lo 53°

Welcome to the Big Green Sports Scene

Dartmouth College's Memorial Field now boasts a new, video scoreboard behind the south end zone. Funds to purchase and install the board were donated by Dartmouth graduate Stephen Lewinstein and his family. (Valley News - Tris Wykes)

Dartmouth College's Memorial Field now boasts a new, video scoreboard behind the south end zone. Funds to purchase and install the board were donated by Dartmouth graduate Stephen Lewinstein and his family. (Valley News - Tris Wykes)

Greetings and welcome to the Big Green Scene Sports blog. I’m your host and the Valley News’ Dartmouth athletics beat writer since 2009.

This is our chance to give you quick updates, peeks behind the scenes and occasional opinions on the Upper Valley’s highest-level sports program. Given my enjoyment of the offbeat, I can also promise you some unexpected tidbits on a wide range of subjects.

One of the joys of covering Dartmouth sports is the intelligence, charisma and drive of the Big Green athletes. The woman who scores the winning goal for the soccer team may also be an accomplished chemistry student. The starting center on the football squad may have a knack for analyzing Greek philosophers — in Greek.

In the coming months, I’ll do my best to introduce you to such lead characters, along with a few on the periphery. Perhaps a modern-day version of Clint the Dog. But more about him in my next post...

For now, enjoy the attached photo of Memorial Stadium’s new video scoreboard. It’s 16 feet high, 23 feet wide and was donated by Stephen Lewinstein, a 1963 graduate who’s a partial owner of the NBA’s Boston Celtics. The board wasn’t yet operational when I took the photo Wednesday, but it’s expected to be working for the home football opener on the night of Sept. 28 against Holy Cross.

Posted to the Big Green Sports Scene blog at 2:30 p.m.