Hi 4° | Lo -11°

Big Green Soccer Earns Win and Tie

Dartmouth College forward Patrick Murray and referee Jeffrey Rousseau discuss matters during Friday night's scoreless tie against Lafayette at Burnham Field. Valley News - Tris Wykes

Dartmouth College forward Patrick Murray and referee Jeffrey Rousseau discuss matters during Friday night's scoreless tie against Lafayette at Burnham Field. Valley News - Tris Wykes

Hanover — The Dartmouth College women’s soccer team entered Friday night’s game with visiting Fordham focused on delivering a stronger defensive effort. Hosting the overmatched Rams proved to be the right medicine for the Big Green, which triumphed 4-0 in its home opener at Burnham Field.

The Big Green, which took all 19 of the nonconference game’s shots and all 10 of its corner kicks, started the season 0-2 while allowing a combined eight goals in road losses to Purdue and Northwestern.

“I liked my defense,” said Dartmouth coach Theresa Romagnolo, who moved midfield standout Kim Rose to the back line and inserted Jill Dayneka there for her first college start Friday. “Our good 1-on-1 defending and our coverage for each other off the ball, that was my goal for tonight, along with getting a shutout.”

Fordham (1-4-1) has surrendered 15 goals while scoring three this season, beating only Iona. The Rams were 9-11 last fall, when one of their losses was a 3-0 setback to visiting Dartmouth.

The hosts opened the scoring in the 17th minute when Emma Brush lunged forward and toed in a loose ball after a goalmouth scramble. After Dartmouth missed two open nets in quick succession, it went up 2-0 after Brush crossed a ball along the goal line from the left side and Lucielle Kozlov raced in from the right post to hammer it home.

The Big Green pushed its advantage to 3-0 just four minutes into the second half when Brush ran onto a through ball in the box and chipped it past charging goalkeeper Ally White. Christy Lozier converted a penalty kick with 28 minutes remaining to close the scoring.

“We showed our players video of other teams getting into gaps behind (Fordham’s) defense and we really exploited that tonight,” Romagnolo said. “The midfielders did a good job of finding those gaps and playing balls into those spaces. In soccer, you have to create a lot of chances to score, and we did that tonight.”

Dartmouth next plays Sunday at Connecticut (4-3).

Men’s Soccer

Dartmouth 0
Lafayette 0 (ot)

Hanover — Stefan Cleveland’s diving save with four minutes remaining in overtime allowed Dartmouth to salvage a tie with the Leopards (1-0-4) at Burnham Field. Lafayette held an 18-7 shot advantage and took seven of the nonconference game’s 10 corner kicks.

Cleveland, a sophomore playing in his second college game, dove and fully stretched out to his left to deny Chandler Fraser-Pauls’ one-time blast from the center of the penalty area. Teammate Nate Arronson crossed the ball into the box from the left wing after motoring past a pair of Big Green defenders.

“Cleveland made some outstanding saves, and I was happy with how we stood our ground against a team whose whole offense seems built around set pieces,” said Dartmouth coach Chad Riley, whose team next plays Sunday against visiting Massachusetts. “It was a very physical game and at times (Lafayette) seemed to be overaggressive, but we somehow wound up with more cards.”

Riley said his team seemed to lack an offensive spark, which combined with the ongoing recovery of star forward Alex Adelabu from a calf strain, limited the hosts’ attack. Adelabu scored nine goals last year, but has a lone assist this season.

“We didn’t have enough quality chances and there was something missing,” said the coach, whose team is 1-0-2. “We’ll have to sit down tomorrow and watch (the video) and figure out if guys were playing with 10 percent less effort or they didn’t want the ball enough in the open pockets.

“Alex got the ball facing our goal and too far away from their goal too much. We want him facing their goal and running on to the ball because we’ve seen him have so much success that way.”

Field Hockey

Northeastern 5 Dartmouth 0

Dedham, Mass. — Dartmouth (1-2) suffered a shutout at the hands of Northeastern (3-1), which led 3-0 at halftime.

Dartmouth goalkeeper Ellen Meyer stopped four shots, while Northeastern split time in goal between Becky Garner, who made five saves and earned the win, and Cara Ahlgrim, who turned aside one shot in 10 minutes.

Despite being held without a goal for the first time this season, the Big Green outshot the Huskies, 22-11. The Dartmouth defense registered seven blocked shots to its opponent’s one.

Northeastern pushed its all-time series lead over the Big Green to 11-2.