Cards, Cats Play To Scoreless Draw

Claremont — The Stevens and Fall Mountain girls went though 80 minutes of regulation and 20 minutes of overtime Thursday night at very chilly Monadnock Park and settled nothing as neither team could find the back of the net.

It was the last regular-season game of the year for both New Hampshire Division III teams, and what exactly the tie did in the standings is yet to be known. Stevens entered the game as the fourth seed and will take a 10-1-3 record into the Division III tournament next week. It was the third tie for Stevens in its last seven games.

Fall Mountain was tied for 12th with Prospect Mountain and will finish a 6-6-4. Prospect Mountain has a game with Laconia today.

All the answers to the postseason pairing questions will be answered on Monday, when the NHIAA releases its tourney schedule. What is known is that Stevens will open at home and Fall Mountain on the road.

With temperatures in the 30s and a wind whipping through the park every now and then, the scoring chances were few.

In the overtimes, perhaps the best scoring chance went to Fall Mountain’s Bailey Roberts, who sailed a direct kick over the goal.

It was a game of two halves for Stevens, which struggled in the first 40 minutes, but had the better of the play in the second half.

As the game moved along, there was the anticipation that one team or the other would break though, but it never happened.

Perhaps the best chance for Stevens in the first half was when Emily Charest crossed the ball to Stevens teammate Maddy Whipple, whose shot from in close was wide.

Charest would injure her right ankle in the overtime and was on her way to the hospital when the game concluded.

Late in the second half Cardinal Desneige Roy, who had a solid game from her midfield slot, lifted a hard shot just a bit too much and it sailed over the net. Teammate Katelyn Belaire showed some speed racing down the right wing and managed to centered the ball before it was cleared. But the chances at both ends were few.

The pace early in the game was slow, as the girls were dealing with the very cold temperatures. Fall Mountain’s Bailey Roberts did have a challenging direct kick that sailed over the cage.

The Wildcats ended with a 10-8 edge in shots on goal, while Stevens had a 4-1 advantage in corners.

After a first half that was less than impressive for Stevens, coach Tom Belaire was glad to see his girls come alive in the final 40 minutes even though they didn’t hit the back of the net.

“We couldn’t seem to get going for a while,” he said.