Hartford U-12 Advances to Ripken Semis

Marlboro, Mass. — The Hartford 12-under Cal Ripken team won its second game of the Regional tournament Sunday night, whipping Washington Park, R.I., 13-6. The victory moves Hartford to Tuesday’s semifinal against Quincy, Mass.

Following a 5-1 opening round victory over the Connecticut All-Stars, where Hartford’s Hunter Perkins fanned 18 batters, Hartford turned up the offense on Sunday.

A 6-run fifth inning, highlighted by four walks, a hit batsman, an error and a few key RBI hits, broke open a tight 7-6 game and boosted Hartford to the semis.

Hartford jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning on a 2-run single by Rob Slocum. In the third inning, Hartford went ahead 7-1 on a 2-run homer by Perkins, a 2-RBI single by Kiernen McHugh and an RBI from Riley Packard.

Rhode Island tightened things up scoring five runs in the fourth inning before McHugh came on in relief of starter Chris Nolte to shut the door.

It was the firth time a Hartford team had ever reached the semifinal round of this tournament.

In Saturday’s opener, pinch hitter Nick Cameron had the big hit when he smacked a 3-run homer in the fourth inning.

Perkins, who allowed just two scratch hits on the mound, helped his own cause with a 2-run double.

Summer Soccer

Touchline V 3, Pembroke 1

Norwich — Touchline scored all its goals in the first half as it closed its regular season with a 12-4 record, earning the top seed in the upcoming Aug. 3 playoffs.

Jamie Dinulous got Touchline on the scoreboard first with an unassisted tally before Pembroke scored to tie the game.

Then Tim Alibozek scored off an assist from Arturo Johnson to put Touchline back on top. Johnson closed out the scoring off a feed from Dinulous.

Connord Edson had six saves in goal.

Touchline IV 2, Pembroke 2

Norwich — Touchline spotted No. 2 ranked Pembroke a 2-0 lead and then rallied for the tie.

Pembroke (8-1-1) was up 1-0 at the break and quickly made it 2-0 before Touchline responded. Josh Wallace scored off as cross from Avery Kravitz at the 20-minute mark to cut the lead in half. Then, with five minutes left, Asa Berolzheimer scored off a feed from Henry Allison to deadlock the game for Touychline (3-4-1).

With two minutes remaining, Touchline’s Jules Evens narly potted the game winner when he hit the crossbar. Alex Bynum had four saves in net.

Touchline closes the regular season this week traveling to play Kearsarge/Sunapee on Tuesday and then going to Plainfield to take on undefeated Lebanon on Wednesday.