No. 8 Green Falls In OT

Streaking Bobcats Skate Past Dartmouth

Hamden, Conn. — The Dartmouth men’s hockey team rallied from a two-goal deficit last night before losing to Quinnipiac, 3-2, in overtime. The No. 8 Big Green fell to the No. 5 Bobcats when Jordan Samuels-Thomas scored with 1:30 remaining in the extra stanza.

“An unfortunate ending,’’ said Dartmouth coach Bob Gaudet, whose team fell to 8-4-2 overall and 4-2-1 in ECAC play, second behind Quinnipiac. “A good play by them. A nice shot.’’

Samuels-Thomas took the puck from the defensive zone and skated down the right side, beating goaltender Charles Grant with a wrist shot from the circle and into an upper corner of the net.

The backstop appeared partially screened by defenseman Ryan Bullock on the play.

Quinnipiac (15-3-2, 9-0-0) won for the 12th time in its last 13 games.

Dartmouth had won three of its past four games, outscoring opponents 15-8 in the span. Quinnipiac, however, has the longest unbeaten streak (12-0-1) among the country’s 59 NCAA Division I teams.

“We didn’t quite have our ‘A’ game, but I thought we battled,” said Gaudet, whose squad received 32 saves from Grant.

“He’s done very well,” the coach said of the freshman netminder, who is 3-2-1 with a .920 save percentage and has teamed with junior Cab Morris this season. “He’s very poised, really athletic, really quick. He’s got really good hands and he’s good low. I think we have a tandem that’s excellent.”

Dartmouth, second in the country in penalty killing, prevented Quinnipiac from taking advantage of its three power-play opportunities.

However, the Big Green could not capitalize on six man-advantage chances of its own against the Bobcats’ third-ranked penalty kill.

Dartmouth began its comeback from a 2-0 deficit in the third period after Matt Lindblad sent a loose puck from the top of the crease and past Quinnipiac goaltender Eric Hartzell with 11:12 remaining in the stanza. Tyler Sikura and Dustin Walsh were awarded assists.

Fewer than eight minutes later, Tim O’Brien took a pass from Eric Neiley and shot it under Hartzell’s legs from the left wing.

It was the freshman’s first tally since scoring his team’s first goal of the season on Oct. 26.

Dartmouth’s two leading goal scorers, Sikura and Eric Robinson, were limited to just one shot last night.

Quinnipiac’s Travis St. Denis scored 11:09 into the first period when he took a rebound off a Kellen Jones shot and sent it past Grant. After a scoreless second period, the Bobcats doubled their lead when Bryce Van Brabant fired a shot from between the faceoff circles into the top of the net.

Dartmouth has a quick turnaround, as it faces Princeton at 4 p.m. game today in New Jersey. The Tigers (4-7-4, 3-3-3) handed visiting Harvard (4-6-1, 3-4) a 3-2 overtime loss last night behind a hat trick from Andrew Calof.