Windsor Basketball Makes Big Comeback

Windsor — Stevens High boys basketball coach Scott MacNamee has never liked having his team play in the Windsor gym.

“We never do well over here,” he said.

Well, he probably likes it a lot less after what happened Wednesday night as Windsor, down by 20 points in the third quarter, stormed back to stun Stevens 63-58 in overtime.

With 3:02 to go in the third period Stevens, on the strength of a trio of 3-pointers to start the quarter, jumped to a 44-24 lead. The Yellowjackets, however, kept plugging away and tied the game at 52 at the end of regulation with a 20-6 blast in the fourth quarter. Windsor scored the first eight points of overtime, got a little scare as the clock ticked down, but held on for the win.

“We didn’t get demoralized,” said Michael Bradley, Windsor’s 6-foot-3 sophomore center who had several key offensive rebounds in the fourth quarter and overtime.

“We just kept playing,” added Windsor coach Harry Ladue.

Stevens (2-3) took a 46-32 lead into the fourth quarter, but MacNamee didn’t like what he saw during the close of the third quarter. All that had to do with his decision to slow down his offense and try to preserve the lead as the Jacks began to assert themselves.

“We were still trying to run our offense,” MacNamee said. “Then there were some mental mistakes on my part.”

Whatever strategy Stevens was deploying was blown away by a 13-0 Windsor run at the start of the fourth quarter that turned what looked like a Stevens runaway into a dog fight.

And the dog with the most fight on this night was Windsor, which quickly came snarling back to trail by one, 46-45, with 4:31 to go.

From that point until the close of the quarter, the play was tense.

Stevens boosted the lead to 50-45 with 3:08 to go, but the Jacks tied the game at 50 as Nick Kapuscinski hit a 3-pointer and added two free throws. His second free throw hit the back of the rim, bounced high and dropped through. Stevens then received a clutch hoop from Jordan Haines to take a 52-20 lead with 57 seconds left, but Windsor’s Tyson Boudro tied the game and forced the overtime with a jumper from the left of the key with 20 seconds left.

The overtime was all Windsor until the final 22 seconds. Leading 61-52, the Jacks could do nothing as Stevens’ Jordan Haines and Parker Smith hit 3-pointers, and all of a sudden it was 61-58.

But that was the last gasp for the Cardinals, who ran out of time.

The Windsor comeback seemed to catch everyone by surprise, as some of the fans started putting on their coats n the middle of the third quarter, when the Stevens lead looked insurmountable. There was a glimmer of hope, however, as the Jacks scored the final six points of the period.

Then Windsor got four points from reserve Isaiah Bates to start the fourth period, followed by an Ethan Hill 3-pointer and a jumper. After Tyson Boudro (17 points) hit a 3-pointer and Bradley made a put-back to cut the deficit to 46-45, the coats came off and the fans settled back in their seats.

One telling statistic on the night was the foul shooting, as Windsor was 14-of-24 from the line and Stevens 1-for-4.

Stevens will have its third game in four days tonight at Winnisquam. Windsor goes to Hartford next Tuesday.