Lebanon Seeks Tie In Cases

Larry Bohannon in a 2008 photograph. (Courtesy photograph)

Larry Bohannon in a 2008 photograph. (Courtesy photograph)

Lebanon — Police are trying to determine if a Grafton man killed by police in the Cheshire County last week after committing an armed robbery is connected to two recent armed robberies in Lebanon.

Lebanon Police Lt. Phil Roberts said authorities are checking to see if Larry A. Bohannon, 51, who died of gunshot wounds to the head, chest and abdomen after a police pursuit that ended when his pickup truck crashed in Walpole, N.H., could have been behind the armed robberies at the Little Store on School Street and the Family Dollar store on the Miracle Mile last month.

Roberts said that police currently have no evidence linking Bohannon to the incidents, and said the investigation is likely to take another couple days. In both Lebanon robberies, witnesses said a white man, roughly six feet tall, brandished a handgun and demanded money.

Meanwhile, court records show that Bohannon had an extensive criminal record in several New Hampshire and Vermont counties that involved kidnapping, assault, burglary, theft, jumping bail and violating parole. Lebanon Circuit Court records also show that Bohannon had two dependent children and was most recently in legal trouble over an incident in Canaan.

On March 31, 2011, Bohannon allegedly threatened to beat up another man in the parking lot of the Evans Expressmart on Route 4 in Canaan, and squealed his tires, according to court documents. He pleaded guilty to two charges in July 2011, and received a 90 day suspended jail sentence.

At the time, Bohannon said he had $15 in available assets, according to court records.

Police say that shortly before he was shot to death on Friday , he had robbed an office supply store in Bellows Falls, Vt., at gunpoint at 4:16 p.m. He fled the scene with an undisclosed amount of money and was seen by witnesses speeding from downtown in a dark-colored pickup truck, according to officials.

The clerk at the office and stationery supply store during the armed robbery, Nancy Staniszewski, who is in her 70s and lives in North Walpole, was not hurt.

The New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office has released few details about the shooting, including information about why the officers opened fire.

Senior Assistant Attorney General Janice K. Rundles said that shots were fired after Bohannon refused to get out of his vehicle and comply with the commands of police officers.

Family and friends of Bohannon have formed a Facebook group in memory of him. Posted on the page are several photos of Bohannon and messages saying he will be missed. The messages describe him as someone who enjoyed jokes and a “great man with a great heart.”

Prior to Friday’s events, Bohannon had several run-ins with the law, and a court record that dated to the late 1970s in Cheshire and Sullivan counties.

In 1994 and 1995, he was convicted of kidnapping two people in New Hampshire and Vermont with another man.

Bohannon and David A. Ward, of Keene, kidnapped David Coull, of Claremont, and Randy Crawford of Springfield, Vt. in October 1993, according to court documents.

Bohannon, who was living in Ashuelot, N.H., at the time, was also convicted of jumping bail in Cheshire County Superior Court. He served concurrent sentences of two to 20 years in prison. He was married and worked as a logger, according to court documents from 1994.

Bohannon was one of several people Ward allegedly tried to conspire with to kill Coull, according to court documents. The conspiracy to commit murder charge was dropped in July 1995 by Sullivan County prosecutors, according to court documents.

In Sullivan County, Ward was sentenced to two to 20 years for the kidnapping and received a suspended sentence of two-and-a-half to seven years for conspiracy to commit witness tampering.

Bohannon and Ward picked up Coull and told him they were going to show him their new apartment, according to police cited in an Associated Press article published in The Sentinel in 1994. The men held Coull at gunpoint and accused him of stealing a generator and continued to threaten him, police said in the article

Sometime after kidnapping Coull, Bohannon and Ward picked up Crawford and also held him against his will, according to the article, citing police. Both Coull and Crawford were later released at Crawford’s house, according to the article.

Bohannon was also convicted of the kidnapping in Vermont at Windham County Superior Court Criminal Division in January 1995 and was sentenced to two to 20 years in jail for the kidnapping, and up to 12 months for the simple assault, according to court documents.

He was released from the New Hampshire State Prison and paroled in March 1997. He returned to prison in December 2007 for a parole violation and was paroled again in June 2008, according to the N.H. Department of Corrections.

When Bohannon was shot Friday, he faced a warrant for his arrest after he failed to report to his parole officer in July 2011, according to the N.H. Department of Corrections.

Court documents show Bohannon had a lengthy criminal record in Cheshire County including an initial charge of burglary in 1979 for allegedly entering a man’s home in Swanzey at night, which was dropped by prosecutors.

In 1981, he was found guilty of burglary and theft, for illegally entering a home on Water Street in Keene and stealing a diamond ring worth more than $1,000. In 1993, he was found guilty of possessing Percocet in Winchester and possessing marijuana in 1991. In 1994, he was convicted of bail jumping, for failing to appear in court while he was on bail for a drug charges.

Material from the Keene Sentinel was used in this report. Mark Davis can be reached at mcdavis@vnews.com or 603-727-3304.