Teen Lied About Gun Threat At Concord High, Police Say
Concord — A high school student lied to police when she told them an 18-year-old man threatened her with a gun, prompting an after-hours evacuation and a swarm of officers at the school, police said.
More than 40 police officers from multiple agencies responded to Concord High School following the report of a threat Tuesday evening. There were night classes and student projects going on at the school, which was locked down and cleared.
The man was originally charged with felony criminal threatening but was released after detectives determined the accuser had lied. He had been at the school earlier but was not there when the alleged threat took place, said police spokesman Lt. Timothy O’Malley.
The 16-year-old Concord High School student who reported the threat faces possible charges for filing a false police report and creating a public disturbance. The motive for the false report was still being investigated, police said.
No students were in jeopardy at any time. Police Chief John Duval said the department publicized the man’s arrest to quell fears of an active threat, but misinformation quickly spread through social media.
“Social media and information that was getting out through nonofficial sources took on a life of its own,” he said.
Duval said he was particularly troubled that members of the public flocked to the high school, contributing to confusion. The department hopes to learn from the episode to better manage public information through social media in the future, he said.