Enfield Man Struck and Killed in Vt.

  • Michael DeBellis, 27, of Killington, Vt., is seen in Rutland Criminal Court on Dec. 9, 2013, after being arrested for a hit-and-run that resulted in the death of 26-year-old Kyle Wilson. (Rutland Herald - Anthony Edwards)

    Michael DeBellis, 27, of Killington, Vt., is seen in Rutland Criminal Court on Dec. 9, 2013, after being arrested for a hit-and-run that resulted in the death of 26-year-old Kyle Wilson. (Rutland Herald - Anthony Edwards)

  • Michael DeBellis, 27, of Killington, Vt., is seen in Rutland Criminal Court on Dec. 9, 2013, after being arrested for a hit-and-run that resulted in the death of 26-year-old Kyle Wilson. (Rutland Herald - Anthony Edwards)
Kyle Wilson, of Enfield, N.H. (Family photograph)

Kyle Wilson, of Enfield, N.H. (Family photograph)

Enfield — A 26-year-old Enfield man who died Sunday after being struck by a car in Killington, Vt., had recently moved to the Upper Valley from Boston to help his father run his Upper Valley-based landscaping business.

Kyle Wilson divided his adolescence between Rochester, Vt., with his mother, and Enfield, where his father lives. Wilson graduated from Rochester High School, but spent most weekends in Enfield and spent summers working for his father’s business, Landworks Landscaping.

Wilson had moved to Enfield full time in August.

In the early hours on Sunday, Wilson was walking through Killington when he was struck by a car, according to the Vermont State Police.

Wilson had attended a concert with his cousin and his cousin’s girlfriend, but they left early, said Wilson’s mother, Stacey McIntyre, and Wilson told them he would walk home.

The next morning, Wilson’s friends began to look for him, and reported finding his body near the intersection of Mountainview and Killington roads to State Police.

A police spokeswoman said Monday it’s unclear whether Wilson would have survived the crash if it had been reported immediately and medical responders had been dispatched.

Michael DeBellis, 27, of Killington, pleaded not guilty Monday in Rutland Superior Court to a felony charge of leaving the scene of a fatal crash. The Killington snowmaker, who has no prior record, posted bail of $25,000 before he appeared in court and he remains free on that amount along with court ordered conditions that include he not operate a motor vehicle or possess or consume alcoholic beverages.

Wilson earned an associate’s degree in business from the University of New Hampshire before moving to Boston. He held various marketing jobs while his girlfriend went to nursing school. Wilson and Desiree Bourassa had been high school sweethearts, McIntyre said, and started dating when Wilson was in the 10th grade and Bourassa was in eighth grade.

Wilson worked in sales and marketing in Boston, but his father, Michael Wilson, said he ended up with jobs that he didn’t enjoy. At the same time, Michael Wilson was in need of extra help at his small landscaping business and so in August, he made a pitch to his son.

“I said, ‘What about you come work for me and eventually take this over for me so I don’t have to do it forever,’ ” Michael Wilson said.

Michael Wilson said his son was a leader and knew the customers because of his summer experience.

Kyle Wilson was supposed to plow with his father for the first time Monday. Although Kyle Wilson was skilled with lawn mowing and other aspects of the business, he had never plowed because he had only worked during the summers.

“We had a great thing going,” Michael Wilson said.

Growing up, Wilson played high school basketball, soccer and baseball, and he loved the outdoors and spent time hunting and fishing.

He had friends scattered across New England. He especially enjoyed having barbecue cookouts, McIntyre said.

“He was part of everyone’s family,” McIntyre said. “He was just welcomed everywhere. His friends’ parents liked him and had him come over, and he’d do things around the house for them.”

Because his parents were divorced, Kyle Wilson had two families that he was close with. His mother remarried and had another son, Tyler McIntyre, who is now 20.

Kyle Wilson was very close with his brother, who is going to school in New York and is a musician. Wilson often invited his brother, who plays guitar, to perform for his friends.

“Kyle was very proud of Tyler for his music and couldn’t wait to see what he was going to do with it,” Stacey McIntyre said.

And when Wilson’s stepfather died from cancer five years ago, Wilson watched out for his younger brother and wanted what was best for him, McIntyre said.

Wilson’s father, Michael, also remarried, and Wilson has a 15-year-old brother, Calvin Wilson, and a 12-year-old sister, Amelia Wilson. McIntyre said her son worked to spread himself between both families, which was difficult at times.

DeBellis, who is charged with hitting Wilson, wrote in a sworn statement to Vermont State Police that he was traveling about 30 mph on a dark stretch of Killington Road at about 1:20 a.m. when the incident occurred.

“(My girlfriend) and I were both completely in shock, and Emily was crying but OK physically so I continued home and parked the vehicle,” DeBellis wrote in a statement.

DeBellis said he didn’t learn until more than 12 hours later that Wilson’s body had been found by the side of the road near the spot where DeBellis said the crash took place.

Police say DeBellis was driving his girlfriend’s car, a black 2003 Volkswagen Jetta, from the Pickle Barrel bar, where they’d seen a musical performance, to their apartment on Currier Road when the crash occurred.

DeBellis told police he’d had three drinks between 10:30 p.m. and 12:15 a.m. — a beer and two mixed drinks — and refrained from drinking for more than an hour before getting behind the wheel to drive home.

“There’s no evidence that he was under the influence at all,” DeBellis’ defense attorney Mark Furlan said during his arraignment.

State Police Trooper Steven Gelder also said no alcohol was detected on DeBellis’ breath. But the test that police administered was performed more than 12 hours after the time of the crash.

DeBellis’ girlfriend, Emily Tredtin, told police that DeBellis was still “trying to process what happened” the next day and that he wanted to report it.

“I was freaking out, we were both freaking out. We didn’t know what to do so we just kept going. We just wanted to get home,” Tredtin wrote in a statement.

At just before 1 p.m., DeBellis told police, he called an off-duty police officer and asked if he’d heard anything about something being found in the road.

That officer contacted State Police who already had been investigating the crash since shortly before noon Sunday, when Wilson’s friends contacted authorities.

DeBellis told police he never saw anything in the road before the impact and he said he may have been distracted by a blinking light near Schoolhouse Road.

The crash remains under investigation by State Police, who are awaiting results from a crash reconstruction analysis and an autopsy.

Calling hours for Wilson are scheduled from 3 to 5 p.m. on Thursday at Ricker Funeral Home in Lebanon, and a memorial service is scheduled for 1 p.m. on Friday.

Sarah Brubeck can be reached at sbrubeck@vnews.com or 603-727-3223. Rutland Herald reporter Brent Curtis contributed to this report.