Cloudy
55°
Cloudy
Hi 59° | Lo 42°

Fire Damages Home In West Newbury

West Newbury, Vt. — A fire destroyed a Swamp Road residence on Saturday morning.

The West Newbury and Newbury Village fire departments responded to a call from homeowner, Scott Martin, at 3:43 a.m. Saturday morning, the State Police said in a release.

Firefighters isolated the blaze to the home’s second floor, which “sustained extensive damage,” amounting to approximately $100,000.

The house was a “total loss,” said West Newbury Fire Chief Ben Ilsley.

Firefighters first left at 7:30 a.m., but returned approximately an hour later when the fire was rekindled.

At the time of the second blaze, the Wells River, Corinth, Rygate and Bradford, Vt., fire departments provided additional assistance.

By containing the fire to the house, firefighters were able to save a nearby storage shed and garage apartment from damage, said Ilsley.

No one was injured in the blaze, which officials believe originated in the dryer, said Ilsley.

Two adults and two cats made it out of the burning home safely.

Ilsley said the Red Cross offered to help the residents locate temporary housing.

— Nora Doyle-Burr