Firefighters Battle Frigid Conditions as Blaze Destroys Sharon Home
In Sharon, a home on Beaver Meadow Road completely engulfed in flames yesterday afternoon is seen through the woods. Firefighters from Sharon, Norwich and South Royalton responded to the blaze, which was spotted by a passer-by. The owners were not home. (Valley News - Sarah Priestap) Purchase photo reprints »
Firefighters work to quell a fire at a home on Beaver Meadow Road in Sharon. Bitter cold temperatures, and scarce water supply made work difficult for Sharon, South Royalton, Strafford and Norwich firefighters.
(Valley News- Sarah Priestap) Purchase photo reprints »
Sharon — A fast-moving fire destroyed a Beaver Meadow Road home yesterday afternoon as firefighters battling the blaze were slowed by frigid temperatures and icy conditions.
Around 4:30 p.m., a passerby noticed smoke coming from the house, which is about one mile east of Route 132 and tucked behind several trees on a hilltop above the road. The passerby drove up the long driveway, confirmed the presence of a large fire and called authorities, Sharon Fire Chief Dana Durkee said.
The fire appeared to start where the chimney and wood stove connected, Durkee said. There was nothing suspicious about the blaze, which climbed through two floors and into the attic. Flames shot through all portions of the roof soon after firefighters arrived.
No one was injured. The homeowners, whom authorities did not identify, were not home.
Durkee said initial reports indicated they may have departed yesterday for a trip out of state and left their wood stove burning.
Some of the fire department’s tankers struggled to climb the long, icy driveway leading to the home, Durkee said, leaving firefighters without water about 45 minutes after they arrived. By then, however, most of the damage had already been done.
“That’s the sad part about living in a rural area,” Durkee said.
Despite the difficulties, the fire was brought under control less than an hour after the emergency call was made, Durkee said.