Man Indicted on Charges Related to River Plunge
Newport — An 18-year-old North Walpole man who police allege drove a stolen vehicle into the Sugar River while being followed by police has been indicted.
Travis Hattey faces charges of receiving stolen property and reckless conduct with a deadly weapon. If he’s convicted, the charges carry sentences ranging from three to 151/2 years.
The Sullivan County Superior Court grand jury passed down indictments last week. An indictment is not a finding of guilt, but a process for prosecutors to continue pursuing criminal charges.
Hattey is charged with two felonies, including receiving a stolen 2006 Toyota Tundra. Hattey told police that the car was stolen from North Walpole by Korbin Bacon, of Westminster, who was the passenger in the vehicle. Bacon denies this.
Hattey is also charged with placing Bacon and the public in danger of serious bodily injury and using the car as a deadly weapon.
At about 3:20 a.m. on Sept. 6, New Hampshire State Trooper Charles Newton began to follow Hattey after observing that he had only his parking lights on while driving down North Street in Claremont, according to a police report.
Eventually, Hattey began driving erratically and accelerated to 50 mph across Main Street and onto Factory Street, which dead-ends at the Sugar River. The car launched into the air and dropped about 50 feet into the Sugar River, according to the police report.
While Hattey clung to a rock in the river below, Newton and Claremont Officer Justin Laffin wrapped a rope around a tree in an attempt to rescue him.
However, when they returned to the water, Hattey was nowhere in sight. Bacon was able to swim safely to shore.
A dive team spent several hours looking for Hattey, but couldn’t locate him.
Hattey was arrested later when Laffin saw him at 9:45 a.m. at a convenience store on Pleasant Street.
Police said Hattey later admitted to speeding away from police and drinking two beers and a glass of wine before getting behind the wheel of the car. He also told police that he was a lookout for Bacon while he stole the vehicle.
It was only once they arrived in Claremont, Hattey told police, that he began to drive.
Bacon told police a different story. He claimed that Hattey picked him up and told him the vehicle was stolen.
No charges have been filed against Bacon.
Hattey is still being held on $2,500 bail at the House of Corrections in Unity. He also faces three misdemeanor charges of conduct after an accident, disobeying an officer and driving while intoxicated in Claremont District Court.
Hattey is scheduled to go to trial on those three charges on Nov. 18.
Sarah Brubeck can be reached at email@example.com or 603-727-3223.