Cloudy
65°
Cloudy
Hi 65° | Lo 55°

N.H.: Be Careful When Eating Wild Mushrooms

Lebanon — The state Department of Health and Human Services is urging Granite Staters to be careful when it comes to eating wild mushrooms found in the great outdoors, especially for those who aren’t experts in mushroom identification.

Even though the number of people taken to an emergency room after eating wild mushrooms declined last year — only two in 2012 compared to 31 in 2011 and 11 in 2010, according to a department news release — the possibility of falling ill after eating the fungus is high.

“We hope this means people are paying more attention to this issue, but we don’t know for sure,” Public Health Director Jose Montero said in a statement.

The department is also warning people to be careful when purchasing wild mushrooms from foragers. Only mushrooms grown in controlled environments can be sold to retail food establishments, though, the release states.

If someone tastes or eats a wild mushroom the Northern New England Poison Center’s 24-hour hotline should be called immediately at 1-800-222-1222.