N.H. State Trooper Injured Responding to Grantham Incident

Valley News Staff Writer
Monday, February 26, 2018

Newport — A New Hampshire state trooper remains off the job after a 19-year-old Grantham man
allegedly assaulted him at a Grantham home last week.

Michael A. Dolan allegedly struck Trooper Michael Catalfamo several times in the head as he responded to a 911 call, causing Catalfamo to begin to lose consciousness and suffer a concussion, according to court documents.

Catalfamo had responded to a domestic disturbance call on Miller Pond Road on Feb. 19, and when he went to take Dolan into custody, Dolan attacked him, said State Police Sgt. Daniel Baldassarre.

“At the end of the day, we are glad that Mike is OK and (Dolan) is in custody,” Baldassarre said on Monday.

His condition is improving, Baldassarre said.

Catalfamo, who is part of Troop D in Concord, was the closest trooper to Grantham when the call came in. He was the first one to arrive on scene.

Dolan was indicted on two felony second-degree assault charges in connection with the alleged incident, one with enhanced penalties because he was out on bail for another incident at the time, court documents indicate.

He also faces several misdemeanors in connection with the alleged assault in Grantham.

In Sullivan County in December, Dolan pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of failing to make restitution, and received a deferred sentence. He also has a felony criminal mischief charge pending stemming from a January incident and was out on bond at the time, according to court documents.

If convicted of his most recent charges, Dolan faces up to 30 years in prison, with the potential for an additional 7 years, documents state.

Dolan has an arraignment and bail hearing scheduled for March 8 in Sullivan Superior Court.

A message left for his public defender, Jennifer Cohen, wasn’t returned by deadline.

Jordan Cuddemi can be reached at jcuddemi@vnews.com or 603-727-3248.