×

Police Continue to Investigate Claremont Homicide

  • Jesse Jarvis. (Courtesy photograph)



Valley News Staff Writer
Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Claremont — State police are continuing to investigate the shooting death of a Claremont man shortly after he arrived at the parking lot of a Washington Street bar over the weekend.

The Attorney General’s Office said it has no information at this time that Jesse Jarvis was the victim of an ambush outside of the Imperial Buffet and Lounge early Sunday morning.

“I do not have evidence that anyone went there and targeted him specifically,” Assistant Attorney General Benjamin Agati said in an interview on Tuesday.

Agati previously said that the shooting, thus far, doesn’t appear to be gang-related; Jarvis is a former prison gang leader who is thought to have helped start the Brotherhood of White Warriors while in state prison.

Investigators also have no information that an altercation involving Jarvis took place in the parking lot before he was shot, but they are continuing to investigate, Agati said.

Imperial Manager Tony Zhang has said the 36-year-old Jarvis, who was known to frequent the establishment, hadn’t been inside that night.

Friends of Jarvis’, some relying on second-hand information, have said he was shot as soon as he arrived in the Imperial’s parking lot.

The Attorney General’s Office earlier this week ruled Jarvis’ death a homicide, saying he died of multiple gunshot wounds. He was shot several times in the torso and in the leg, but Agati wouldn’t say how many wounds Jarvis suffered.

About 100 people were inside the Imperial Lounge shortly after midnight when the shots rang out in the parking lot. Police then converged on the scene and found Jarvis suffering from several gunshot wounds.

The investigation is ongoing. Police are interviewing people who may have witnessed the situation unfold around 12:15 a.m. on Sunday.

Meanwhile, some of Jarvis’ family and friends gathered at a home on Providence Avenue in Claremont on Tuesday.

His mother, Cheryl Cucchiara, wept on the front steps as she recalled memories of her son.

She acknowledged that he had something of a troubled past, but she said he wasn’t and shouldn’t be defined only by his legal troubles.

Jarvis had been out on parole since April 2017, and had been trying to get back on his feet following several years of being in and out of prison.

He was a “history buff” who loved reading, his mother said.

He also enjoyed nature, running and boxing at a studio in Claremont, a place where he also mentored youths, she said.

She and other people who were gathered at the home said Jarvis was generous to those in need.

“Jesse wasn’t the cruel, mean person everyone is trying to make him out to be,” his mother said.

She pleaded for the public to stop posting “vicious” comments about Jarvis and the family on social media.

She and other family members declined to comment on what they think happened on the night in question or who might be responsible.

Anyone with information is asked to call Sgt. William Bright of the New Hampshire State Police Major Crime Unit at 603-223-4381.

Jordan Cuddemi can be reached at jcuddemi@vnews.com or 603-727-3248.

Clarification

The headline to this story has been updated to reflect that no suspect has been identified publicly.