×

Sports Briefs: Seattle Commits to Arena Makover

  • A skateboarder leaps onto a platform in front of KeyArena, a sports and entertainment venue at the Seattle Center, Monday, Dec. 4, 2017, in Seattle. The Seattle City Council on Monday approved a memorandum of understanding with Los Angeles-based Oak View Group in a $600 million privately financed project to renovate the facility, formerly the home of the NBA's SuperSonics. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

  • The iconic sloped roof of KeyArena, center, a sports and entertainment venue at the Seattle Center, is seen from above Monday, Dec. 4, 2017, in Seattle. The Seattle City Council on Monday approved a memorandum of understanding with Los Angeles-based Oak View Group in a $600 million privately financed project to renovate the facility, formerly the home of the NBA's SuperSonics. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

  • In this Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017 file photo, UCLA NCAA college basketball player LiAngelo Ball attends a news conference at UCLA in Los Angeles. The father of UCLA guard LiAngelo Ball says he plans to withdraw his son from school because of concerns related to the freshman's indefinite suspension for his admitted participation in a shoplifting incident during the Bruins' trip to China. The younger Ball, Jalen Hill and Cody Riley have been barred from all team activities as part of their suspension for shoplifting from three high-end stores last month. UCLA coach Steve Alford says he respects the Ball family's decision. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File)

  • FILE - This Oct. 10, 2014, file photo shows Sunil Gulati, president of the United States Soccer Federation, during a press conference in Bristol, Conn. U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati will not seek a fourth term, announcing his decision two months after the Americans failed to qualify for next year’s World Cup. The 58-year-old Gulati, who announced his decision Monday, Dec. 4, 2017 has been a driving force in the USSF for more than 30 years. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola, File)

  • Steps lead down to the east entrance of KeyArena, a sports and entertainment venue at the Seattle Center, Monday, Dec. 4, 2017, in Seattle. The Seattle City Council on Monday approved a memorandum of understanding with Los Angeles-based Oak View Group in a $600 million privately financed project to renovate the facility, formerly the home of the NBA's SuperSonics. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)



Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Seattle — Seattle is moving forward with efforts to renovate the aging city-owned KeyArena into a premier venue that could be ready for an NBA or NHL team within three years.

The Seattle City Council on Monday approved a memorandum of understanding with Los Angeles-based Oak View Group to privately finance a roughly $600 million remodel that would nearly double the square footage of KeyArena. The facility housed the NBA’s SuperSonics until they relocated to Oklahoma City and became the Thunder.

Oak View Group has been focused on acquiring an NHL franchise and turning KeyArena into a world-class hockey and concert facility with the potential of hosting an NBA team in the future. It has said it could have the building ready by October 2020 if environmental approvals are obtained and demolition can start in October 2018.

Basketball

Ball Pulling Son From UCLA

Los Angeles — The father of UCLA guard LiAngelo Ball plans to withdraw his son from school because of concerns related to the freshman’s indefinite suspension for his participation in a shoplifting incident during the Bruins’ trip to China.

The younger Ball, along with freshmen Jalen Hill and Cody Riley, have been barred from all team activities as part of their suspension for shoplifting from three high-end stores last month when UCLA opened its season overseas.

LaVar Ball told the Los Angeles Times and ESPN on Monday that he’s going to explore other options.

Soccer

No Re-Election for Gulati

New York — U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati will not seek a fourth term, announcing his decision two months after the Americans failed to qualify for next year’s World Cup.

The 58-year-old Gulati, who announced his decision on Monday, has been a driving force in the USSF for more than 30 years. He helped put together the successful bid that brought the 1994 World Cup to the U.S. and served as executive vice president and chief international officer of the U.S. organizers for the tournament. He also was deputy commissioner of Major League Soccer from its launch until 1999.