×

Claremont Death Ruled a Homicide

  • Jesse Jarvis in a 2017 photograph. (Claremont Police photograph)

  • On May 14, 2018, Tony Zhang, manager at Imperial Buffet and Lounge, speaks about helping 100 customers in the lounge after Jesse Jarvis was shot in the parking lot late Saturday night in Claremont, N.H. Zhang said customers could not leave until about 3 a.m., after giving state police their contact information. (Valley News - Geoff Hansen) Copyright Valley News. May not be reprinted or used online without permission. Send requests to permission@vnews.com.

  • The New Hampshire State Police Major Crime Unit works in the back of the Claremont Police station in downtown Claremont, N.H., on May 14, 2018. They are investigating the homicide on late Saturday of Jesse Jarvis, who was shot in the parking lot of a Washington Street restaurant. (Valley News - Geoff Hansen) Copyright Valley News. May not be reprinted or used online without permission. Send requests to permission@vnews.com.

  • George Collins, of Claremont, N.H., stopped by the Imperial Buffet and Lounge in Claremont, N.H., on May 14, 2018, to check in on the employees. Collins was on his way to work nearby Sunday morning when he saw the homicide investigation in the restaurant parking lot. (Valley News - Geoff Hansen) Copyright Valley News. May not be reprinted or used online without permission. Send requests to permission@vnews.com.

  • Jesse Jarvis with this grandmother, who is unidentified, in a undated family photograph. (Family photograph)



Valley News Staff Writer
Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Claremont — A Claremont man who was shot multiple times in a restaurant parking lot early on Sunday morning died from those wounds, according to the results an autopsy, which ruled Jesse Jarvis’ death a homicide.

Jarvis, who had a lengthy criminal record and was active in the white supremacist movement, was shot around 12:15 a.m. outside of the Imperial Buffet and Lounge, according to the Attorney General’s Office. He died at the scene.

Authorities have revealed few details about the shooting. On Monday, Assistant Attorney General Benjamin Agati said in a telephone interview that the investigation is ongoing.

He declined to say whether police had identified a suspect.

“There is no one under arrest right now,” Agati said. “We are investigating all of the individuals who were present … and what everyone’s role was.”

There were a number of patrons at the restaurant’s bar at the time of the shooting.

Jarvis’ family and friends gathered at a home on Providence Avenue in Claremont on Monday. His brother, Anthony Jarvis Jr., declined to comment through his wife, Angel.

Jesse Jarvis was previously associated with a prison gang. Agati said on Monday he doesn’t have any information “that says that this was specifically gang-related at this point in time.”

He declined to say whether Jarvis was armed.

Claremont Police Chief Mark Chase referred comment to the Attorney General’s Office.

He said his department is working in conjunction with New Hampshire State Police on the investigation.

Although he was known to frequent the Imperial, Jesse Jarvis never went inside on Saturday night, Imperial manager Tony Zhang said on Monday.

Zhang said he didn’t know Jarvis well.

Police have identified Jesse Jarvis as a white supremacist who founded the Brotherhood of White Warriors, New Hampshire prison gang, more than a decade ago.

Jarvis had been in and out of prison for much of the past two decades, records show.

Zhang, the manager at the Imperial, recalled the night of the shooting as being a routine Saturday.

About 100 people had come to the bar that night for drinks, to play pool and dance to music played by a DJ.

The adjacent restaurant closed at 9:30 p.m.

Zhang was at the business but said he didn’t hear the gunshots ring out.

However, his security guard, Marc Laroche, did.

That was all Laroche recalls of the incident though, he said in a written statement to the Valley News.

“9-1-1 was called and I did everything I could to secure the scene and ordered all patrons that came outside to go back in,” Laroche said. “I will be meeting with the owners to discuss new policies to help ensure the future safety and enjoyment of the Imperial Lounge.

“The entire staff of the Imperial Lounge is deeply saddened by the incident of this past weekend,” he said.

Most of the people who were inside the restaurant when the shooting occurred were forced to stay inside until about 3 a.m., when officers cleared the scene, Zhang said.

The Imperial reopened on Monday afternoon, Zhang said. (The bar isn’t open on Sundays.)

“It’s kind of tough to get over,” Zhang said. “It’s kind of crazy.”

Many customers have reached out to support the business, describing it as a safe and reputable establishment.

George Collins, of Claremont, stopped by on Monday afternoon to show his support and check in on the employees, who he has become friends with over the years. He has frequented the business for decades, he said.

Collins, a former Claremont dispatcher who works at the Claremont Pet and Aquarium Center, said he drove by the Imperial around 8:15 a.m. on Sunday. When he saw the New Hampshire State Police Major Crime Unit van in the parking lot, he knew something bad had happened.

“I was worried about my friends here,” Collins said. “This is not something that happens often.”

Jordan Cuddemi can be reached at jcuddemi@vnews.com or 603-727-3248.